Skip to main content

Flood Damage vs. Water Damage

Flood Damage vs. Water Damage

With all the current flood damage occurring across the county, many homeowners are asking if this flood damage is covered under my insurance.  The answer depends on what type of insurance policy your have and how the water entered your house.

Essentially there are 2 different types of insurance that deals with water damage -  a flood insurance policy and a home insurance policy.  Often there are some basic coverages that each policy will cover and going over this with your insurance agent can help with any confusion.

Flood Insurance Policy – for flood insurance the term rising is key in distinguishing flood damage from water damage.  Usually water that has been on the ground at some point before is considered to be flood damage.  Flood damage to your home can be insured only with a flood insurance policy -- no other insurance will cover flood damage.

Homeowners Insurance Policy - A homeowners insurance policy doesn't provide coverage for flood damage, but it does provide coverage for many types of water damage to your home.  Just the opposite from flood damage, for insurance purposes, water damage is considered to occur when water damages your home before the water comes in contact with the ground.

It's important to note that flood insurance and homeowners insurance do not duplicate coverage for water damage. Instead, they complement each other.  It is up to you to talk to your insurance agent or insurance company about flood insurance and homeowners insurance, and then decide which insurance coverage you need to protect your home, its contents and your family




Have a question? We're here to help.
Contact Us